Beginning Your Career Growth
CO-CREATE | CO-DEVELOP | DELIVER
- Why Choose PKF Texas?
- Interns & Recent Grads
- Experienced Professionals
- Current Openings
PKF Texas' internship program is an opportunity for students to experience the dynamic, hands-on practice of public accounting with clients, which can be integrated with their formal education.
During your internship, you will work as part of a client service team in one of our service functions: Audit or Tax. The practical experiences facilitate your education by providing you with insights into the economics of the practice and allowing you to gain a broader perspective.
Accounting interns are temporary associates, pursuing a Bachelors of Science, PPA or Masters degree in Accounting at an accredited university, with an interest in accounting, financial statement preparation, auditing, tax preparation and/ or tax law. Work is performed under close supervision. Responsibilities may increase with demonstrated skill.
Our pace is dynamic, our projects are interesting and challenging and our culture is nurturing. You will find that our executives and team members truly care about your development and personal and professional success. Not only that, but you’ll bond with your fellow intern class through special events planned just for you!
You worked hard to get your degree. Long exams and even longer hours prove that you are interested in more than a job. You want a career.
What does it take to build a career at PKF Texas?
It starts with being open to learning. As a new associate, you're never alone. Our directors generously impart their wealth of experience with junior team members. This is the PKF Texas legacy. Our clients want to work with today's brightest individuals. Through one-on-one guidance, new associates glean years of experience from our PKF Texas leaders.
Building a career takes commitment and PKF Texas is committed to building the careers of its employees. Many of our current leaders built their careers with us. Check out their stories:
Building a career requires continually reinvesting in yourself. Our in-house curriculum, PKF University, offers web-based or instruction-led seminars to develop your potential and sharpen your skills. And if we can't bring the training to you, we'll send you to the training. Whether it's specialized CPE training based on your discipline, or leadership events through our alliance groups, PKF Texas invests the resources and tools necessary to help our people succeed.
Real Work, Right Now
The most important part of your internship is the work you will be doing while serving our clients. Our “real work, right now” culture ensures you receive the best hands-on training during your internship – working with a variety of real clients on engagements from start to finish.
After a two week training period, you will be assigned to one or more clients alongside our team members.
Associates in both departments may help train newer staff, assist with campus recruiting and participate in firm/departmental meetings, task forces and continuing professional education.
What types of work will I do?
Audit interns will be out in the field with the associates and seniors leading the engagement. Tax interns will be assigned to project teams where they will complete various types of tax returns. Below is a sample of the types of tasks interns and new associates may be assigned during the course of an engagement.
- Learn and apply PKF Texas’ audit approach for a variety of testing areas, such as legal expenses, cash, accounts receivable, accounts payable, and property and equipment
- Prepare electronic audit work using a variety of applications, including Microsoft Office and innovative audit software
- Communicate directly with the client to request audit evidence, to make investigative inquiries, and to verify understanding of the client’s business and accounting procedures
- Responsible for sending and tracking of confirmations used to verify account balances, such as cash, accounts receivable, and notes payable.
- Perform tests of internal controls
- Test legal expenses, including identifying instances of potential litigation
- Test bank statement reconciliations
- Test accounts receivable aging schedules
- Test accounts payable, including evaluation of vendor invoices
- Evaluate reasonableness of fixed asset lives and depreciation computations
- Observe inventory test counts (associates)
- Learn about PKF Texas’ process to complete a return
- Prepare individual, corporate, partnership, estate, trust and gift returns
- Prepare multistate and city tax returns
- Assist with consulting projects
- Assist in research for IRS examinations and gather detail to support client position
- Draft responses to federal, state and city notices from taxing authorities
- Research tax issues
- Provide assistance with consulting engagements
- Prepare tax projections under different income and deduction variables
PKF Texas not only invests in providing a great internship experience but we also seek insights and feedback from current and past interns to help continue developing our internship program.
Here are some of the things interns have shared with us:
We offer a challenging and rewarding experience which allows you to work side-by-side with some of our industry's most accomplished professionals. The Buddy/Coach Program was developed to ensure you receive the best hands-on training and learning during your internship. It allows for seamless integration into firm culture and intern development.
Your Buddy will be an Associate or Experienced Associate whose aim is to ensure that you feel included and comfortable at PKF Texas. You will have the same buddy throughout your internship or first few months of employment.
Your Coach can be anyone from a Senior Associate to a Director who serves as your on-the-job trainer and guides you through the technical processes of your internship/career.